Gone are the days when students were asked to make formulae of the chemical compounds, stand up and recite what happened in French revolution and learn everything that they were taught to. To evaluate one self and rise in his field, an individual needs to learn and do something new and creative. Innovation and Ideas are the basic demands over which economy of a country relies upon. The skill that is not taught in Indian education system is practical problem solving. Many kids don’t have interest in studies as they don’t get their answers to the mark. A common question which students face what is the use of science and mathematics in real life. This is because students are not taught how to apply them in real life.
Many global challenges like Global warming, climate change, resource management, agriculture production, health and education can be solved with a proper solution oriented mindset. Problem solving is the key skill in 21st century. There is a growing concern of STEM education all over the world as STEM curriculum teaches kids how to solve problems with the use of mathematics and science. Researchers and scientists all over the world states that integration of STEM curriculum with current education curriculum can help in unlocking various solution to global concerns all over the world. STEM curriculum emphasizes on:
- Team work: Kids work collectively to solve STEM challenges (also known as STEM adventures). The STEM challenges are the prototypical or miniature model activity related to global problems like climate change and global warming. For example if kids are asked to perform a activity on rain water harvesting, by performing the activity they will learn what rainwater harvesting is and main focus will be on,. how to apply rain water harvesting practically or in areas where there is shortage of rain.
- Builds Confidence: When all the students perform STEM adventures the class room environment changes. Kids ask their guides what they did wrong and how they can improve it further. Teachers interact with each group in a STEM lesson, which felicitates complete evaluation of a kid and his skills. Through interaction kids develop confidence and believe in their potential.
- Class learning: Kids learn all the basic concepts of the subject in the class itself. The idea is to make kids use the school time as much they can.
- Decision Making: Effective decision making skills differentiates a learning individual to an experienced one. Kids learn basic aspects of decision making from childhood itself such that when they grow up they can easily analyze a situation, know its setbacks, and work its pros and cons. Observation power is strengthen through effective decision making.
- Engineering Design Process: This is the foundation of STEM curriculum. Engineering Design Process is a problem solving approach to kids so that they can solve problems within resources and time. Engineering Design Process features:
- Students are addressed to a real world problem.
- Fosters student to apply and integrate multiple solutions.
- Students work in team to incarnate out and shape their creativity.
- Students explore and work on their own ideas rather than being spoon fed.
STEM curriculum is the change our educational system needs today. We at STEM CHAMP foster STEM curriculum and help students to learn and apply the concepts. The idea is to make each kid proficient and independent so that he is ready to be a part of future ready workforce.